Tuesday 24 March 2015

THE ONE WITH THE LABOUR STORY - Part 3

Welcome back dear readers :)

So, I was moved to the delivery ward, and after the fluid drip started. I got the shocking news of "NO Epidural, It's time to push"

At that point, I was SO exhausted, I could barely even talk. I remember one of the midwives was a bit annoying to me and I had no energy to tell her BACK OFF. And if you know me in person, I am not the kind of person who usually let go of things :D.

Anyway, the feeling of pressure in my pelvis kept coming and getting stronger, it felt like passing an enormous gigantic poo that just won't come out. And YES, you could pass urine and/or stool during labour. I'm sorry to tell you, but after giving birth, you can have no shame. :D

Luckly for me that didn't happen, cause the PGs caused me diarrhoea the day before, and on the same day I had nothing to eat from the sickness, so there was nothing in my colon. feuhhh

I started pushing, and I absolutely had no energy.  Ahmed was standing next to me, shouting "YES, YES" and I knew he was lying and nothing is coming out, but I had no energy to tell him "cut the crap". I mean, I could feel the head under my pubic bone and just stuck in there!! 

The main midwife was a calm soothing woman, she kept telling me "you are doing really good, but we need longer contractions that last at least 10 seconds". I was like HOW THE HELL AM I GONNA DO THAT?? 10 SECONDS?? COME ON!! 
Of course, that was all going all in my head, cause as I said before, NO ENERGY.

I kept pushing and I could feel nothing is moving along. I asked the midwife if she just could pull her or suck her out cause I am absolutely rock bottom. The midwife told me "No love, you have to do it on your own, we want no doctors in this room. All natural".(which even me knows how ridiculous that sounds, but when you're in labour you can say all sorts of crap). At one point, I even asked Ahmed if he could do it for me :D. 

The funny thing was, in the middle of the pushing I saw Ahmed drifting off and texting something on his phone. Ordinary Salma, would have killed him right there on the spot :D ,but I had no energy to even ask what the hell is he doing. Later I found out that two of my best friends, have made a whatsapp group named "Push Salma Push" :D , as a kind overseas support LOL. And he was texting the updates :D .LOL

Anyways, I kept pushing whenever the contractions hit, sometimes even in between, actually I pushed whenever I felt like it. The contractions at this point where so hard that I actually once tried to rip my own face off :D. Most of the other time I hold on to Ahmed's neck and pulled on his clothes asking him "What do I do? I'm gonna die Ahmed, I am gonna die" and he would answer "I am so sorry, but sweety your are doing great" :)

Finally, the head passed under the pubic bone, and I could now feel the stretching in my vagina. At then Ahmed told me "great Salma, I could see her head, and she has hair :) "

Almost half the head was out, I could feel myself stretched to the maximum, here the midwives told me to stop pushing and starting pouting (short rapid breathing). This is to adjust the baby's position and to prevent you from having unnecessary tears or trauma.

I started pouting, then all the sudden I could feel the head passing out and one more push and out she was :)

They then brought her to my chest, she was so calm and awake and beautiful :). I held her and greeted her "Hey you, I've missed you" :)


Meanwhile, they asked me If I wanted the placenta out passively or actively. Passively means to wait for it to come out on it's own which could take up to half an hour. Actively means they give an injection of Ergometrine to help speed out the process. I choose active. The placenta was out in seconds.



A few minutes later, they took her to dress her. They found out I was bleeding so they hit an emergency button and all the sudden I found 8 midwives and doctors in the room :D , but they have already figured out the source of bleeding that was a 2nd degree small tear in the vagina, nothing too serious. All through that I was lying there like a dead women, only rolling my eyes to see what's going on with absolutely no comments :D. I didn't give a damn. :D

They started stitching me, I was given a local anaesthetic, and I remember there was a spot that wasn't completely numb during the stitching, and I could actually feel the needle going through my skin, and I didn't even twitch an eye. All I said to the midwife "It hurts there" in the calmest palest voice you could imagine :D
I mean I just had a baby passing from there, like a few stitches now are gonna hurt !! :D COME ON !!

They finished the stitches and changed my bed sheets. I was left to sleep, I slept for an hour then I woke up to see Layla. 
Yes, this is how wonderful normal labour is. Once the baby is out the pain is gone, everything goes back to normal, and I was walking around like nothing ever happened.
Then I was moved from the private room to the maternity ward with my baby and a whole new chapter begun :).

That's it with labour story. The main reason I shared it is to encourage more women to go into normal birth, and to let them know that If I can do it, so can they. Trust me, despite what it might sound like, it's nothing compared to C-section and it's complications. Natural birth is a very safe process for the mother and child, and the pain you go through only makes you stronger. I can never forget the amount of impression in Ahmed's eyes after he saw what I have done. Until now, I am a hero.

Honestly, I loved every part of the experience :) 
Hope all of you mommies to be to have a natural safe delivery and I wish all my readers all the best :)

                                                      From SALMA with love xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment